WHERE ARE WESTON WORKSHOPS HELD?
Most of our workshops are held at our home on Wildcat Hill, the former home of Edward Weston in Carmel Highlands, CA. Carmel Highlands is 3 miles past Carmel which is located on the central coast of California, 2 hours south of San Francisco and 6 hours north of Los Angeles.
Kim Weston also teaches workshops internationally and has taught in Scotland, Mexico, Finland, France, and Spain.
Do you want us to come and teach a workshop for you? Send Gina Weston an email to inquire and she will get back to you as soon as possible.
HOW DO I REGISTER FOR A WORKSHOP?
You may register for all Weston Nude Photography workshops online:
Subscribe to our newsletter for updates about upcoming sessions!
How long are Weston workshops?
All Weston Destination Workshops are between 5 and 7 days long.
what kind of camera do i need to bring?
You may bring a digital or film (any format) camera with which you are fairly to extremely familiar with.
Can I borrow a camera if I don't have one?
Unfortunately, cameras are not provided at Weston Workshops.
what experience levels will you accept for your workshops?
We accept photographers with every level of experience at our workshops! The learning environment at Weston Workshops is well-suited for beginning nude photographers up to the most experienced photographer. The environment is private and the workshops are well structured with small groups to work in. The only requirement is that you know how to use your camera :)
WHAT SHOULD I BRING?
We encourage all Weston Workshop participants to bring a tripod if they have access to one. A tripod can be extremely helpful when photographing in low light and it will free up your hands, allowing you to concentrate on your subject.
If you are shooting with a film camera, please be sure to bring plenty of film. If you are concerned about traveling with it, please feel free to ship it to Wildcat prior to the workshop (just let us know if you plan to do so at least 1 week before the workshop begins).
Bring several high capacity memory cards so you can change cards without disturbing your flow while you are working. It's always a bummer to have to stop mid-photoshoot to erase images in an effort to free up space on your card.
If you will be photographing with a digital camera, please bring a laptop and a USB thumb drive for the critique on the second day of all Wildcat Studio Nude Workshops.
Though Wildcat Hill is equipped with a bounty of interesting and dynamic props, you are more than welcome to bring some of your own.
Because Kim prefers to shoot with natural light, we do not provide studio lights or flashes; however, if you think you will need them, you are welcome to bring them along.
We have a few reflectors but bring yours along if you have one handy.
Wear layered clothing, as we live very close to the ocean and the weather can change quite quickly. Its best to wear sturdy shoes to work around our property. Preferably flat soles as we have small pebbles along our walkways.
where do you find your models?
The models at our workshops are all professionals with whom Kim has worked in the past. Learn more about the models >
for how long will I get to shoot with the models?
At Weston Workshops on Wildcat Hill you will have the opportunity to photograph with the models for approximately 4.5 hours each day (8-9 hours total).
Will you Provide a model release?
Yes, we will provide signed model releases for all of our participants.
SHOULD I GIVE THE MODELS GRATUITY AFTER THE WORKSHOP?
If you feel that the models you work with did an outstanding job, we encourage all workshop participants to tip them on the last day of the workshop.
Most participants will tip anywhere from $20-$100 per model and for a 2 day workshop $50 per model is appreciated. You can judge how much to tip each model based upon your budget and your personal experience working with them during your workshop.
We will collect it from the participants anonymously and divide it evenly between the models.
With how many other photographers will I be shooting?
Photographers are put in groups of three with one model at a time (3:1 student to model ratio).
will you provide lodging during the workshop?
On a first come, first serve basis, Bodie House is available to rent for one of the photographers in the workshop. Please be aware, if you choose to rent Bodie House during a workshop, that the main area of the cottage will be used as one of the shoot locations by other workshop participants.
Where else can i stay?
Anywhere on the Monterey Peninsula is fine. Please find a few options listed below:
There are many styles of hotels from economy to luxury in Carmel. Always check the internet for ongoing specials. More info can be found on Carmel-by-the-Sea.
will you provide food/drinks during the workshop?
We will provide coffee/tea/water and a snack for our participants in the morning and will prepare a family style dinner for all participants on Saturday night.
Participants are expected to bring lunch with them for each day of the workshop.
If you have special food requirements, please be prepared to bring food with you.
WHERE ARE THE CLOSEST AIRPORTS?
Monterey Regional Airport is 10 miles (about 20 minutes) north of Carmel.
San Jose International Airport is 80 miles (about an hour and 40 minutes by car) north of Carmel.
San Francisco International Airport is 100 miles (about 2 hours and 10 minutes) north of Carmel.
Shuttles are available from Monterey to both San Jose and San Francisco International Airports via the Monterey Airbus.
DO YOU PROVIDE TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM THE WORKSHOP?
No, you will need a car to get to our house as we are 3 miles south of Carmel. Carpooling may be suggested depending on how many participants we have in any given workshop. You will be notified in advance if needed.
MAY I BRING MY SPOUSE/PARTNER/FRIEND WITH ME TO THE WORKSHOP?
Unless your spouse or partner has paid to attend the workshop, they may not join us during the day. However, he or she is welcome to join us for the family-style workshop dinner on Saturday night!
Workshop Policies/release of liability
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Deposits and Payments
Please make all payments in US Dollars payable to Gina Weston. Payment is required for each workshop you have registered for. To ensure your reservation in this class is held, please send the payment within 7 to 10 days via check (Credit Card payments are accepted if needed). If coming from out of the United States, credit cards will be accepted for deposits plus a 3% additional charge.
Withdrawal, Workshop Cancellation and Refunds
If you need to withdraw from a workshop, you must inform us at least 30 days prior to the first day of the workshop (60 days for Destination/Collaboration Workshops), and we will refund your full tuition, less a $100 registration fee (Wildcat Studio Nude) or less a $300 registration fee (Destination/Collaboration Workshops). After the cutoff date a refund will only be made if a qualified replacement is found.
If it is necessary for us to cancel a workshop, all registered participants will be notified at once, and you will receive a full refund of payments.
Notification of cancellation due to low enrollment will be made at least 14 days prior to the beginning of class. For this reason, we encourage you to purchase refundable airline tickets and consider purchasing trip cancellation insurance. The workshop will not be responsible for any fiscal loss of airline tickets/hotel reservations/etc.
Release of Liability (Read carefully- This affects your legal rights)
In exchange for participation in the activity of photography lessons, photography workshops, photography adventures and related travel organized by Weston Photography and/or use of the property, facilities and services of Weston Photography or any location utilized for said activities, I agree for myself and the members of my family, (where applicable) to the following:
1. I agree to observe and obey all posted rules and warning, and further agree to follow any written or oral instructions or directions given by Weston Photography as well as its leaders, employees, representatives or agents. I have read and understand all information provided to me by Weston Photography.
2. I recognize that there are certain inherent risks associated with travel, outdoor activities and photography in the studio, city, nature or wilderness. I assume full responsibility for personal injury to myself and the members of my family (where applicable), and further release and discharge Weston Photography as well as its leaders, employees, representatives or agents for injury, loss and damage arising out of my or my families use of or presence upon the facilities utilized for said activities, whether caused by the fault of myself, my family, Weston Photography, other third parties or nature.
3. I understand that certain activities involve the need for transportation to and from locations and/or activities. I understand that although Weston Photography may facilitate travel arrangements involving common carrier, activity participants or others the responsibility for transportation rests with the drivers or transportation providers. Participant agrees to hold Weston Photography as well as its leaders, employees, representatives or agents harmless for any claims related to transportation associated with any activity.
4. I agree to indemnify and defend Weston Photography as well as its leaders, employees, representatives or agents against all claims, causes of action, damages, judgments, costs or expenses, including attorney fees and other litigation costs, which may in any way arise from my or my family’s use of or presence on the outing or facilities utilized.
5. I agree to be fully responsible and pay for all damages to the facilities and locations utilized caused by me or my families negligent, reckless, or willful actions. This may include but is not limited to legal fees, fines, penalties, restoration and repair costs.
6. For good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged, I hereby grant Weston Photography, its affiliates, agents, representatives, licensees and assigned the right and permission to copyright and use, re-use, publish, and republish at any time any images, photographs or recordings of me (still and/or motion) or in which I may be included, in whole or in part, for all purposes that Weston Photography deems appropriate including, without limitation, for advertising, promotional and publicity purposes. I agree to release, hold harmless and indemnify Weston Photography and all persons acting under its permission or authority, from any liability by virtue of any publication of the images, including, without limitation, any claim of rights of publicity or privacy.
7. Any legal or equitable claim that may arise from participation in the above activity shall be resolved in Monterey County, California using California law. In any such action, the prevailing party shall be entitled to recover their attorney’s fees.
8. Weston Photography has the right to cancel any workshop and to alter the time, context, or format of any workshop in the event circumstances require. In the event a workshop is cancelled, for any reason the extent of the Workshops’ liability is limited to the return of all fees and deposits paid.